Thursday, March 01, 2007

Driving: The Long Awaited Commentary

Many have heard my opinions about driving and drivers. I'm bold enough to say what most people only say under their breathe and know it's true. Some people just shouldn't be on the road. Old people, blind people and stupid people. In the past week, we've seen three incidents where the AGE OLD (pun totally intended) debate has been sparked again.

Twice in Baltimore-area older people have caused accidents. On 695, this guy slowed down to a crawl in the middle of the highway to where a tractor trailor could not avoid the collision. The second tractor trailor couldn't avoid the incident either. Everyone walked away fine but good grief want an accident scene. When the older gentleman was interviewed he said he was totally qualified to drive. Let me be bold and say SIR YOU ARE NOT QUALIFIED TO DRIVE A BIGWHEEL!! The second incident was that an older person drove into a Safeway. In Florida, the third incident involved an older woman who was about to take her driver's test. She ran into the DMV building and injured 11 people. All before Thursday of this week.

There are plenty of older people in this world who can drive just fine. But good Lord, I don't think I'm ever around them. I think once you reach 65 or 70 you should take a written and road test every year thereafter.

I mean seriously! If people with only a right eye continued to sideswipping people, causing accidents while changing lanes to the right or/and running into people crossing the street while trying to make a right turn wouldn't someone suspect that perhaps the lack of a right eye be the issue? No one's saying that people with only left eyes can't drive. It takes training and special treatment by qualified driving instructors and that 20/30 vision requirement in the working eye. But what if people with no or low vision in one eye were just handed licenses like nothing was wrong with them. Scary thought. Like older people. TEST THEM. DON'T JUST HAND THEM LICENSES. When I'm older I would like to be tested every year just to know I still have some sense. Hell by then I hope to get around the proper way for a 70 year-old. My kids!

Anyway now that I've probably pissed off a few people I'll end with a few reminders for those STUPID PEOPLE ON THE ROAD. Namely the idiots that were on 95 North with me at night during the rain and fog.

1. Don't turn on your high beams in the F&*#ing fog!

2. Don't drive or merge onto 95 North at 35 - 45 miles an hour! THE SPEED LIMIT is 65 mph. Trucks will kill you. I will want to kill you. It wasn't raining that bad or icy at all.

3. Going 90 mph up 95 North is not too safe when visibility is low, idoit! Especially when dealing with people who don't adhere to item number 2.

4. Item 1

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home